A Special Remembrance Weekend
This year on the 11th day of the 11th month will be the 100th anniversary of the ending of World War 1, the war that was to end all wars….
Rev. Margaret of this Parish has been granted £500.00 from West Dorset District Council, for community use, to celebrate the ending of WW1.
She along with a group of helpers have planned some special community events in the church and village hall for this coming Remembrance Sunday.
We are sure that many of you in the Chesil Bank area will want to commemorate this special date.
Saturday 10th November:
- 10.00 Remembrance Day Village Hall Cafe held by the Abbotsbury & Portesham Branch of the Royal British Legion
Sunday 11th November
- 10.50 Service of Remembrance held at St Peter’s Church
- 12.00 Lunch served at Portesham Village Hall with a presentation by Steve James of his trip to the Menin Gate - Tickets £2 - Marsha 871446
- 14.00 Screening of the film “War Horse’ - Tickets £1 - Keith 871925
- 16.00 Tea to be served by Portesham WI followed by communal singing and poem recitals. Tickets please call Susan 871239
Portesham Village Hall, 8th December - 7.30pm (doors open 7pm)
BLACK SHEEP BAND - Dorset's finest ceilidh band! - £10.00
TICKETS HERE or 01305 871035 firstname.lastname@example.org
All proceeds to the St Peter's Portesham 'Flush Fund' project to provide a disabled toilet and a kitchen/servery at the church.
Come and join our pre-Christmas warm up.
No dance skills required, just follow their experienced caller and enjoy yourselves!
Cash Bar & Refreshments available.
Thurs 20th December, 2018
Portesham Village Carol Singing will begin on the Village Green (opposite the Kings Arms) at 6.30pm.
All ages are welcome and voice quality is not an issue!
Come and join us as we carol our way around the village to music from the old concertina.
Please bring a safe lantern or torch to read the song sheets provided.
Supper is available, after, at 4 Front Street.
(bring bottle of wine and donation !).
All proceeds to Julia’s House Children’s Hospice. For more info contact Sue Clerk - 871486.
Portesham Motor Show
The date for MOTOR SHOW 2019 is Sunday 30th June 2019
It was in the pub, sat at the bar, on a quiet winter’s eve, a couple of years ago, that an idea suddenly sprung to mind.
• You may not be surprised to learn that there are a fair few petrol-heads in our village, that love to show their pride and joys and enjoy seeing others display theirs.
• The church hold their Open Gardens weekend in the summer (it is fixed as the nearest weekend to St Peter’s Day, the 29th June) and The Kings Arms Public House has a delightful garden that is always open..…..
When Jo & Lee confirmed they would be happy for it to become our show-ground the MOTOR SHOW was born, the inaugural one being MOTOR SHOW 2017.
A group name was then needed, for those of us interested in motors, some of whom actually own one or two but that is definitely no prerequisite - it should be in keeping with a small and nostalgic village group, reminding people of a bygone age - the PORTESHAM AUTOMOBILE SOCIETY seemed as good a name as any other.
However, the MOTOR SHOW is thus called so we may exhibit an eclectic mix and not just vehicles of a certain age, as is generally found in many a Classic Car Show.
We now have two events under our belt, MOTOR SHOW 2017 and MOTOR SHOW 2018.
They will always be in conjunction with the church’s Open Garden’s weekend and the raffle tickets, that are sold in the garden on the day and the week before in the pub, will be in aid of St Peter’s Church funds.
However, going forward, we also hope to raise some additional money which will initially help towards the running costs of the show and should we have any excess, this will be donated to local village causes of our choice.
Anyone in the Chesil Bank Parish area (I realise it’s called the Portesham Automobile Society but that is simply because it’s where our main event will always be held) with an interest in motors, whether they be 2, 3, 4 or more wheeled (or none, it just needs a motor!) is very welcome to join us, our current members’ age range is 15 to 75!
Email email@example.com for any further information.
MOTOR SHOW 2019 is Sunday 30th June 2019