Early Portesham Postcards
Granny Ford and George Samways' grandfather in Church Lane
Blacksmith, Front Street
Mr Woodsford in Front Street
Mr Stickland (left) and Mr Hodder
The Wheelwright at Springhead (previously next to Dovecote cottages).
Youngsters could earn a tanner (6d/2.5p) a morning for turning their lathe by hand!
Village Green (The Knapp)
1 The Knapp by New Road
Brick Hill 1962
The Ford New Road
The Bakery opposite Springhead
Photo courtesy of Ruth Treves-Brown & information Robin Harding
The Bakery at the top of Front Street also sold groceries and general items. The Dike family lived behind the shop which was run by Robin's grandmother, Mrs Harding. His uncle, Sid Dike was the master baker who made wonderful bread and scrumptious flaky pastry jam tarts!
His grandparents lived next to the Samways' house opposite.
The Dike family moved from here to run the biggest independent supermarket in the West Country, Dike & Sons Ltd, Stalbridge.
George Jolliffe's Shop - Front Street
With thanks to Robin Jolliffe for providing the information:
George is the Great Grandfather to Robin, Graham & Martin, all residents of Portesham.
George was born in Possum in 1856, one of eight children of James and Hannah Jolliffe (nee Bartlett).
James was described in the 1881 census as a shopkeeper, but he was previously a carrier running a weekly wagon to Weymouth and Bridport.
George also helped run the carrier business but he is listed in the subsequent census as a Dairyman, Grocer, Coalman and by 1901, also a shopkeeper.
He married Susan Hodder in 1857 and they had four children, Lily, Sidney, Ethel and Leonard (Robin's
The shop, at No 22 Front Street, was built around 1850 and George was the tennant from 1908.
Whilst he concentrated on farming (see below), Ethel, his youngest daughter, ran the shop, which was a typical village general store selling a wide range of goods.
Tragically Ethel died of tuberculosis in 1921, aged only 33. Her sister, Lily, also died of the same illness two years later. The shop then closed and sadly never reopened.
Robin still has a few artefacts from the shop, the hooks used in the window displays and weights used in the shop.
Both George and Susan died in February 1931, just three weeks apart, and are buried in Possum cemetery.
Haymaking with Mr George Jolliffe at the forefront.
The Fountain Inn
Accident at George Samways' House, Springhead
Tha Half Moon with MGA
Fire at the Hodder's house
The King's Arms
New Buildings by Springhead
The Manor House
The Old Malthouse
Portesham Percussion Band!
Replaced by a newer Possum House, built by Lieutenant Ryan in 1967 and regularly visited by The Prince of Wales
In the garden of Possum House (then, The Pleasaunce),
Mr Manfield's donkey
led by Jack Cooper and driven by Bill Vine
The Post Office
The Reading Room
Smokey Hole, Cemetery Road
Portesham Station, it's still there but now known as Sleepers
Threshing at Manor Farm
King George V Silver Jubilee Fete
Water Wheel - Mill stream Millmead